Saturday, April 08, 2006

I'm taking a Spanish conversation class at UTA. It's six-week course that meets every Saturday from 9:30-12:30. There are about twenty of us in the class, three of whom are men. We start every class playing "Lottería" or as we know it, Bingo. Last week, we then went over the Preterit tense, and then got in pairs to come up with dialogue for various conversational situations. It's hilarious listening to a bunch of adults trying to learn a new language as we stumble over new vocabularly, sentence structure and verb forms. My pronunciation is excellent and I've been told many times that I sound like a native, but when it comes to conversing, all the vocabulary I know seems to just go right out the window. Practice, practice, practice, I know.

This afternoon, I'm going over to the house of some friends of mine who just had their first child. They're having an open house for everyone to see their new little boy and they're calling it a "Sip and See" a term I've never heard before.

Tonight I'm the cantor at the 5:30 Palm Sunday service. The choir is singing and thus will begin our "Week of Fire" as we're also singing at two masses tomorrow, then Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday of next week. We'll all be exhausted when it's over.

I'm currentlly reading Frances Mayes' new book A Year in the World. It is beautifully written in the way Under the Tuscan Sun was. I still can't believe she allowed that book to be made into the movie it was. I like Diane Lane, but the movie was completely different from the book. About the only thing that was the same was that a woman went to Tuscany and bought an old farm house.

Ordered some pink freshwater pearls from overstock.com and they arrived yesterday; they are beautiful. I've really been wearing a lot of pink the last couple of years....a lot of pink and a lot of brown. I used to wear black quite frequently, but now that color just doesn't seem to look right on me.

Recently subscribed to "Netflix" which I thought I'd never do because I'm not much into watching random movies and I don't watch a lot of TV. A lot of my friends watch "Grey's Anatomy", however, so I ordered the first season on DVD from "Netflix" and now I'm hooked...to the show and to Netflix! Netflix has everything! Every foreign film I'm interested in seeing, BBC mini-series that were on "Masterpiece Theatre", even old TV shows like "Adam-12". (I had a crush on Kent McCord when I was about 7.) For me, Netflix is the answer for not subscribing to cable.

Between the Spanish class, all the books I want to read, reading various authors' blogs, "Netflix" movies, choir and cantor responsibilities and now work, there just aren't enough hours in the day.

No comments: